A former synagogue turned Charter School in Garfield will soon have a new purpose: housing.
The B'Nai Israel Synagogue, built in 1920 at 327 North Negley Avenue, is a grand structure with a circular sanctuary that once seated over 1,000 worshipers. That part will be preserved in the redevelopment. In 1995, B’Nai Israel closed and the sanctuary has remained vacant ever since. More recently, the Urban League of Pittsburgh Charter School utilized the community center that is attached to the sanctuary.
327 NN LLC, the buyers, will soon begin the $18.5 million transformation in the adaptive reuse of this historic structure. Soon to be home to 45 mixed-income environmentally friendly units, the development was honored with the “Innovation in Design Award” from the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) due to its all-electric building designed to use minimal energy with rooftop solar panels to offset energy consumption.
Tom Conroy and Ted Noethling of HannLWE represented the seller in the transaction.